4.28.2008

Paul McCartney and Martha

Paul McCartney’s, “Martha My Dear,” featured on the Beatle’s classic White Album is a song about his favorite pooch. McCartney, known for his pop song craftsmanship, admits that this tune wasn’t filled with any in-depth meaning. In a 1968 Radio Luxembourg interview about how this song was inspired McCartney stated that, “I just start singing some words with a tune, you know what I mean. I don't ever write a song thinking; 'Now I'll write a song about...' I do sometimes, but mainly I don't. Mainly I'm just doing a tune and then some words come into my head, you know. And these happened to be 'Martha My Dear, though I spend my days in conversation.' It doesn't mean anything, you know, but those just happened to come to my head. So that's what this song is about... it is about my dog. I don't mean it, you know. I don't ever try to make a serious social comment, you know. So you can read anything you like into it, but really it's just a song. It's me singing to my dog."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home